Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)I really enjoyed "The Organ Grinders". It is just as funny as his first book, "Pest Control", but definitely has some darker overtones. I would classify this book as a combination of Mystery, Science Fact/Fiction, and Comedy. It sounds like an odd combination, but read the book and you'll see what I mean!!! I normally stay away from both Mysteries and Science Fiction. I am more interested in Historical Novels, Fantasy, and the like. "Pest Control" was recommended to me by a friend and I guessed correctly that I would enjoy another book by the same author.
What did I like about "The Organ Grinders"? I am an engineer, so from the "nerd perspective", the accurate science in the book was great and a bit scary. He has obviously done a TON of research and it really shows. Just as he did in "Pest Control", most chapter begin with a bit of science. I also liked, and disliked, many of the characters in the! book. If anyone has trouble disliking the unredeemable Mr.Landis, they have a serious problem. He's a quality villain, if ever there was one. Paul Symon and Georgette are well developed characters and were very real. Some of the other characters are people I would never want to meet and would certainly never make some of the life-choices they make in the book, but they contribute to the story in so many ways. The book is also very funny. Just as I had to read "Pest Control over again to catch more of the Bob Dylan jokes, I know I need to read this one again to catch more of the Paul Simmon tidbits. I have the same last name as one of the characters, which was a bit of a bonus chuckle.
What didn't I like? There are some things that I don't really want to know about or think about. Thanks to this book, I am now more aware of some ethical, emotional, and environmental issues that can't be wished away (my preferred approach). The book is sure to upset every reade! r about something. In many ways the upset is a good thing.! The areas of unpleasantness that are almost a character in this book are things we should be upset about.
Click Here to see more reviews about: The Organ Grinders
0 comments:
Post a Comment